December 17, 2007

Translating With the Help of The Internet

Translating involves advanced writing skills, vocabulary mastery on the subject matter being translated, and comprehension of the content of the subject matter to be translated.

One of the most common problems frequently encountered by a translator who is not familiar with the subject matter to be translated is his ignorance of the technical terms used. To solve this problem a translator must be equipped with a set of subject dictionaries. Certainly not everyone has a complete set of subject dictionaries in his personal library collection. More often than not one has to go to a library to find out the meanings of terms encountered in the material to be translated. The aformentioned problem can now be solved with the help of the internet. The internet has taken over some if not most of the responsibility of printed dictionaries. I have felt greatly assisted by the Internet in doing my translation projects for the last two years. When I encounter a statement, a technical term, or a phenomenon which I cannot find in printed documents I just go to my a search engine and ask for help to find the needed information. Usually in less than 5 minutes I can find the answer to my problem with the help of Google.

With the help of the Internet I can find not only the meaning of the term but also further explanation and the documents which contain the information. It is certainly a lot faster to find the meaning of a word by means of an online dictionary than a printed version.



Majelis Abu Hamid, EzineArticles.com Basic PLUS Author

No comments: